When you choose a firm mattress, you’re making a deliberate effort to provide your body with all the comfort it deserves, but adding a topper to it makes your bed rich in premium cushioning and reliable care for your entire body.
What are they?
Mattress toppers are added layers placed on mattresses to modify the feel of the bed. They are often used for two main reasons, primarily to soften a hard mattress or as firm support for a waning mattress. In either use, they are affordable and healthy options for all kinds of sleepers
Toppers are slightly different from pads but both serve to ameliorate the hardness of a mattress. Pads usually serve to
prevent moisture, dust mites, and bacteria from the surface of your bed while toppers are made for extra comfort.
So, what kinds of mattress toppers are there?
The classification is based on the main material used in making them. They include wool, latex, feathers, cotton, memory foam and polyester.
In this post, we’ll clarify the differences between two of the choicest mattress toppers available today ‒ Memory Foam Toppers and Down Alternative Toppers.
Memory Foam Toppers
Memory foam toppers are popular for their ability to cool the body temperature of sleepers, a malleable surface that moulds to reflect the contours of the sleeper and evenly distribute weight. They are quite therapeutic as they relieve joint pains and prevent body aches.
They are available in different types which include:
- Ventilated memory foam toppers: these are made with small perforations that allow for airflow
- Gel memory foam toppers: possess heat absorbance and regulate body temperature
- Egg-crate memory foam toppers: their convoluted designs allow airflow around your body and provide some massage
- Solid memory foam toppers: this is the best pick if you desire to restore the comfort that got you buying your old mattress in the first place
With all that’s been said, here are a few downsides to be aware of:
- They have a strong unpleasant smell especially if newly purchased.
- While there are affordable options in the market, they are generally thought to be expensive.
- Memory foam toppers are known to trap heat.
- Its contour-friendly effect makes turning on the bed a little hard
Check out the Fluidé Memory Gel Topper here
Down Alternative Toppers
Also called feather birds, these ultra-soft mattress layers might make you cringe if you are an advocate for animal rights but if you’re not, then you’re in for some cloud-like experiences.
The feather-feel effect of these toppers makes them lighter than memory foam toppers and less expensive, too. But you might be wary of the following:
- They tend to bundle up unevenly if not well managed
- They may cause allergies
- Since they’re made from feathers, the shafts tend to pop out of the enclosure
Your spine, along with the joints holding up your entire body frame deserves a reprieve every night for the weight they bear around during the day. Get a sweet rest every night when you choose Fluidé Down Alternative Mattress Topper